Martina Franca and the Itrië Valley: The old scenic road from Noci to Martina Franca itself is already a treat. You might even want to walk it. You’ll pass the vineyards near Locorotondo, farmhouses and trulli.
Martina Franca is a beautiful city and just before you drive into town you get a view of the beautiful Valle d’Itria. This is one of the World Heritages and also the namesake of the lyric festival, annually from mid-July until the 2nd week of August. Visit the website of the festival for more information. Here you will also find a movie that will give an impression of the festival and the place where it is held: http://www.festivaldellavalleditria.it
Visit the website of the festival for more information. Here you will also find a movie that will give an impression of the festival and the place where it is held: http://www.festivaldellavalleditria.it
Attractions and activities in Martina Franca:
- Every 3rd Sunday of the month there is an antique and flea market and during the holiday season even a continuous period of about 10 days.
- You will also find a Byzantine mosaic in a church near the old city wall.
- The annual market of the Murgese horse and the Martina Franca donkey takes place in the first weekend of December. In Noci, however,
there is also an annual weekend dedicated to these two beautiful animals at the end of September.
- Here and there you will come across Baroque architecture, such as the Palazzo Ducale that you can also visit (wall and ceiling paintings). It’s a cross between renaissance and baroque architecture. The family Caracciolo used to live here and now it houses a town hall, library and the local police. A short time ago it has been restored. You can also visit the upper floor with its wall paintings. Here the Lyrical Festival takes place. Further there is a beautiful church dedicated to (of course) San Martino, made in Baroque and the old town.
- Martina Franca is also known for its delicious Capocollo (artisanal treated meats) and cosy and elegant shops. It is a very pleasant and lively town.